There’s a new usb follow focus on the market. Light Craft Workshop, the people that made the popular 3-stop polarizer, are introducing their newest product, a usb follow focus. It’s not the first time we’ve seen a usb follow focus system, but it’s always good to have more competition in the mix.
A few benefits from having a usb follow focus, vs a normal gear driven follow focus:
- You can be far away from the camera, watching an external monitor. This could be great in multiple situations where the focus puller cannot get near the camera.
- This system can record a “focus move” to perform later.
- Ability to adjust settings via the usb controller. ISO, aperture, shutter speed, EV +/-
- Ability to enable recording.
This USB follow focus from Light Craft Workshop, aptly name “The Helmsman,” will cost you $460, but it may very well be worth it. Here’s the details straight from Wide Open Camer’s product page.
The Light Craft Workshop USB follow focus unit for Canon cameras has a ton of features. We will be taking pre orders for “The Helmsman” USB follow focus and should be shipping by the week of July 18th, 2011. Please stay tuned for more info. Here is the current info supplied from the manufacture.
“This is a USB controller that you can plug in to your Canon camera (e.g. Canon EOS 1D MK IV, 5D MK II, 7D, 60D, 600D (T3i/ Kiss X5), 550D (T2i/ Kiss X3), 1100D (T3/Kiss X50) and other Canon cameras with same USB protocol).”
1. Lens follow focus
2. Adjust follow focusing speed
3. Enable recording
4. Enable live view on LCD monitor
5. Enable live view magnification
6. Enable auto focusing and light metering
7. Customize auto focus zone
8. Customize and memory focusing point
9. Customize ISO, Shutter speed, Aperture, EV+/-
It’s in the pre-order stage right now, but SHOULD be available next week. I’ll try to get my hands on a review unit to give you guys the scoop.
Click here to pre-order.